Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The engagement/elopement/I don't know

YAY!

It made me so happy to get all the comments about what people wanted to hear about! Oh how I have missed you guys:)

As you can probably guess the whole engagement/elopement won out as the first "comeback" post.

I just have to say one thing before i get to the storytelling. I have to come clean.

I am a procrastinator.



I know...you probably already knew that and if I look into past posts - I am sure I mentioned it.

However, I just had to say it again. So often I put off doing a post because I am not feeling my "creativity." I always think I have to be witty or have cute pics to go with the post and by me putting this pressure on myself to be creative often to ends up me not blogging for long periods of time.

So you know what? I'm done with that. You are going to have to take me as I am even on my crappiest of creative days.



What I am getting at is that today is one of those days...actually the last few days have been that and I didn't want to put this off any longer waiting for just that "right time".

So your just going to have to deal with it!



(actually, you are probably saying to yourself "IF those past posts were creative, then I hate to see what this one is going to be!")

and you are probably right!



Anyways......

on to the story!!

OK.... The Duke and I have been talking marriage for quite some time and would say things like "when we get settled in our jobs, we will get engaged"

or

"when we are more financially secure, we will get engaged",

or


"the holidays are always a great time to get engaged."

But you know as well as we know that there is never that "perfect"time. So a couple of weeks ago we were out to eat and we started talking about when it would be a good time to get engaged and then we realized that at this rate we were NEVER going to get married!! So after some drinks we were like " Hey lets just go get married!!" and you know what? We basically did just that!

The next day The Duke called up the courthouse to talk to them about getting married there that day. (yes, romantic..I know:)

But I didn't know he was going to call. We didn't make very specific plans the night before - we were just like "YEAH!" lets do it!"

Anyways, Duke calls me at work and tells me to come home....not sure why...I came home.



Duke tells me that he set it all up!! We can go get married at the courthouse that day!!



You could have knocked me over with a feather....seriously....

So like two excited little kids - we start racing around the house, Duke calls my dad for permission ( insert awwww.... here) , we change our clothes and off to the courthouse we go.

In the midst of running around I look at the Duke and I say:



Me: "Hey, what are we going to do for rings?"

Duke: "We need rings?"

Me: "Um, yeah!!!"


Duke: "Yeah, didn't think about that"

So we go scurrying through my jewelry chest and I pull out this 3 dollar huge-ass fake diamondette ring...that has an adjustable back. Bling! Bling!



( actually it was bigger and gaudier than this ring!) ( Is gaudier a word?)
And then...

The Duke pulled out his High School Class Ring ( the only ring he owns) and we were back in business!

BTW....the class ring only fits his pinky now!


So we go off skipping to the courthouse, proud as two peacocks that we were doing this uber adult thing...like an adult rite of passage... when we came face to face with the Courthouse Lady!


Duke: "I called earlier. We are going to get married today"

Courthouse Lady (looking at us like we are craazzy) : " your what?"

Duke: "Getting married"

Courthouse Lady: "Sir, we don't do weddings here"

Duke: " Well I spoke to someone and they said we could pay the extra 5 dollars to have it done today"

Courthouse Lady: " Were you talking to them about a Marriage License?"

Duke: "yeah"

Courthouse Lady: " Sir, that does not mean that you can get married today. It just means that you can get your license today by paying the extra 5 dollars instead of waiting the three days."

Duke: nothing... just looking very confused


Me: utterly embarrassed

Courthouse Lady;" We can get you the license today but the courthouse does not do weddings"

Duke: still looking confused

Me: "we will take the license"

Lady goes to get the paperwork...

I start to die laughing....Duke too...

Lady comes back and we fill out all the forms and pay our money, dot our I's , cross our T's and we get handed our OFFICIAL Marriage License!!

and...

Duke then looks at the courthouse Lady and says, (no lie) " So does this mean we are married?"

I just put my head down on the counter

Poor guy...he just doesn't get it!!

I'm going to end here since this is getting long! I guess you will have to come back to find out what happened next!



Till next time...

Lady Jane

20 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, I was cracking up laughing at your story! Best wishes on finding the best place to get married:-)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for almost getting married! I can't wait to hear about when you actually DID get married.

    I am so glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LOL!!!!!! Next next next post, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HURRY UP ALREADY!!!! Well technically I htink we already know what happens next but we want to know HOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post...and am so glad you are not going to wait for what you consider creativity. I think all your posts are perfect and so creative already. Now hurry up and give us Part Two!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious already. I can't even imagine how this story ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaaaccck!! You too are NUTS. And I LOVE it. And I CANNOT wait much longer for the rest of the info, so GET CRACKING! And yes, the gaudier the better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How dare you make us wait!?!?!?!

    We've been waiting months now!

    Actually, we're all just glad you're back and this story is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story sounds hilarious and ridiculous!! Congratulations?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG that is hysterical!

    Congratulations...oh wait, not yet. I can't wait for the next installment of your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Poor Guy... But I think you could call the mayor.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back! Yes, we were all worried about you ;) Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha sweet :) I wanna know the rest of the story ! Love the rings, klassy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well technically I htink we already know what happens next but we want to know HOW!

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a funny "little" post :)

    D. apparently had the best of intentions -and, at least, now you have taken the 1st step towards actually getting married [not to mention, the day off :roflmao:].

    I'm sure when the time finally comes, it is all gonna be absolutely perfect and smooth as silk!

    Do hope you post the next installment soon -curious to see what happened to be honest :)

    ReplyDelete